Looking for a late summer or fall internship? Check this one out!
Position: Comic Book Club Intern (unpaid)
Library: Ramsey County Library, North St. Paul, MN
Description: The Comic Book Club is a partnership between the North St. Paul Community Center and the North St. Paul branch of the Ramsey County Library, and sponsored by The Source Comics and Games. The Comic Book Club is open to anyone who is interested in reading comics, talking about comics, drawing comics or learning about the comic industry, but is primarily targeted to middle-schoolers and younger teens. There is a weekly Open Reading event at the Community Center, and there are special Comic Book Club events held monthly. As well as focusing on all things comic related, activities also include playing games and watching movies.
The Comic Book Club was founded by and is staffed by a Community Center volunteer, in conjunction with the Teen Librarian at Maplewood Library. One unpaid internship position is immediately available to work with the volunteer and Teen Librarian to coordinate Comic Book Club programming. This internship is a great opportunity to work directly with youth, and create a direct link between comic books and graphic novels and literacy.
Responsibilities Will Include:
- Staffing the Open Reading Room each Tuesday from 4:00-6:00 p.m.
- Staffing monthly Comic Book Club events on the third Thursday of the month from 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.
- Work with Comic Book Club volunteer and Teen Librarian to brainstorm programming ideas
- Work with The Source on donations and gaming/programming possibilities
- Outreach with the greater comic book community for possible collaborations
- Engage with youth in a meaningful manner to encourage ownership and relationship with the library
- Coordinate snacks and clean up after club
- Minnesota Voluntary Certification, ALA-APA Library Support Staff Certification, MLIS, or current enrollment in an undergraduate or graduate-level library information science program
- Interest in programming for youth
- Knowledge of and interest in comic books/graphic novels
- Ability to work independently and on a team
Work Schedule: Two hours every Tuesday from 4-6 p.m.; Two hours the third Thursday from 6-8 p.m.
Duration: Four-month commitment required
Application: Send a resume and intern application to Amy Boese via email at email@example.com or via U.S. Mail at Amy Boese, Maplewood Library, 3025 Southlawn Dr, Maplewood, MN 55109. Background check will be administered prior to appointment.
Contact: Amy Boese, firstname.lastname@example.org; 651-724-6065