The Minnesota Department of Corrections has an opening for a Library Technician at the Minnesota Correctional Facility-Faribault. This position is designated as part-time and will be scheduled to work at least 16 hours per two-week pay period during the days/hours specified above. The work schedule will vary and be shared with another part-time Library Technician.
This position updates and maintains the circulation of library materials; provides staffing of libraries during working hours including evenings and weekends as scheduled; maintains documentation of offender attendance and use of library materials; and supervises the use of the law library.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Facilitate the circulation of library materials.
- Supervise the law library.
- Update, repair and maintain library materials.
- This position has direct contact with offenders.
The following qualifications are required of all applicants seeking consideration for this position:
- Working knowledge of library classification system(s) and standard library reference tools sufficient to assist clients in locating materials and conducting research.
- Ability to apply and support detailed coding or cataloging systems sufficient to create tracking for new print and non-print library acquisitions and locate and replace existing materials.
- Operate personal computers, use various software and web-based applications, and other office equipment sufficient to locate catalog information, word-process documents, complete forms and prepare reports.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing sufficient to determine and respond to the informational needs of clients of varied educational levels and backgrounds; to train, direct and evaluate work of student clerical staff; and to assist the professional library staff to maintain the library collection according to library policy and procedures.
The following qualifications are strongly desired of applicants seeking consideration for this position:
- An Associate's degree or higher.
- Experience working in a library setting.
- Experience working in an educational setting.
- Experience working in a correctional setting.