Hennepin County Library (HCL) is seeking a Digitization Specialist to work in the Special Collections, Preservation, and Digitization department. This position will support the department's digitization program through routine and repetitive tasks working with large collections of archival materials. The Library supports a growing online collection of digital content. This position involves moving and shelving archival materials and will require the ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
This position is located at Minneapolis Central Library in downtown Minneapolis.
The primary duties and responsibilities of this position include:
- Scan a variety of digital materials using several types of scanning equipment, for example, scanning photographs, books, maps, and documents using sheet-fed scanners, book scanners, large format scanners, slide/negative scanners, and flatbed scanners.
- Create and edit basic descriptive information about digitized materials (metadata), for example, recording item formats, creation dates, dimensions, and source information.
- Edit digital content, including cropping and image rotation, using IrfanView, Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Excel, and other programs.
- Instruct volunteers and interns in specific tasks related to digitization.
- Perform preservation treatment of materials being digitized, labeling archival materials and filing them in acid-free storage conditions.
- Assist the Preservation Specialist in repairing and protecting library materials, including creating labels for repaired books and encapsulating large format materials.
- Add new content to the digital collections platform; review descriptive metadata for spelling and other errors.
- Shelve, inventory, and file collections of books, documents, magazines, and archival material.
Best Qualified Candidates will have:
- One or more years of experience digitizing different material types using multiple digital scanning devices.
- Experience using Microsoft Excel and digital image editing software (e.g., Irfanview).
- Experience working with processing archival collections.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to:
- Successfully perform routine and repetitive tasks.
- Lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Move and shelve books and archival materials.
- Communicate instructions clearly.
- Learn work processes quickly.
- Adapt easily to changing priorities and task assignments.
For more information and to apply: http://www.hennepin.us/jobs