Tuesday, March 20, 2012
Library Technician Position-Bemidji State Univ.
BEMIDJI STATE UNIVERSITY
AFSCME JOB POSTING
Classification: Library Technician
OPENING DATE: 3/19/2012
CLOSING DATE: 3/26/2012
POSITION LOCATION AND UNIT: Academic Affairs - A. C. Clark Library-Unit 7
WORK DAYS & HOURS: Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
The incumbent of this position:
* Provides day-to-day oversight and implementation of public and technical services in circulation and the library's reserve collection areas
* Performs a range of technical tasks which support the day-to-day circulation functions associated with the library's circulating collections
* Hires, trains, and provides work direction to student assistants in the circulation area
* Working knowledge of library classification system(s) and standard library reference tools sufficient to assist clients in locating materials and conducting research.
* Ability to:
o Apply and support detailed coding or cataloging systems sufficient to create tracking for new print and non-print library acquisitions and locate and replace existing materials.
o Operate personal computers, use various software and web-based applications, and other office equipment sufficient to locate catalog information, word-process documents, complete forms and prepare reports.
o Communicate effectively orally and in writing sufficient to determine and respond to the informational needs of clients of varied educational levels and backgrounds; to train, direct and evaluate work of student clerical staff; and to assist the professional library staff to maintain the library collection according to library policy and procedures.
* Completed at least 64 semester hours (or equivalent) of post-secondary coursework.
* Completed (1) at least 4 semester hours formal training or course work in computing applications including but not limited to word processors or spreadsheets; or (2) at least 12 months continuous experience working in a position in which the applicant used a computer to perform a substantial portion of his or her duties.
* Strong organizational, multi-tasking, and problem-solving skills.
* Public or customer service experience.
* Experience screening, hiring, training, managing the work schedules of and providing work direction to numerous part-time employees.
* Ability to work collaboratively with others.
* Ability to work independently and meet critical deadlines.
The applicant should demonstrate a knowledge and interest in diverse culture and populations. Bemidji State University is a tobacco-free workplace (see policy: http://www.bemidjistate.edu/offices/human_resources/Tobacco policy for HR1.pdf>).
Application Information: Any current employee interested in this position and eligible to bid should submit a bid application by March 26, 2012 to Bemidji State University Human Resources/Affirmative Action Office.
You are strongly encouraged to submit your resume through the online Resume Builder at http://www.careers.state.mn.us using requisition #12MNSC000091. You may copy and paste your existing resume or let the software create a resume for you. You may edit your resume later should your contact information or experience change. You may create a Job Search Agent to automatically send an email when a posting that meets your criteria becomes available. Information about this position and application procedures are available on the Minnesota Management and Budget website: http://www.careers.state.mn.us/. Look for vacancy #12MNSC000091. The job posting and complete position description is available on the Bemidji State University/Northwest Technical College Human Resources website: http://www.bemidjistate.edu/offices/human_resources/. Applications will be accepted through March 26, 2012. Bemidji State University is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Systems/Distance Learning/Circulation Librarian Bemidji State University / A.C. Clark Library, #28 / 1500 Birchmont Dr. NE / Bemidji, MN 56601 Tel. 218-755-2967 / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org