Hiring Range: $15.42 - $17.35/hr (Grade 103)
Location: Pleasant Hill Library in Hastings
Union: AFSCME - Library
Close Date: 4:30 p.m. on 5/13/2016
Job Description: The Senior Library Information Assistant works under the supervision of a Circulation Supervisor or Cluster Manager or under direction of the Assistant Circulation Supervisor. Provides customer service to the public by checking out and checking in Library materials, receiving and recording fees and fines, answering phones and greeting visitors, sorting and shelving returned and new Library materials, preparing and mending Library materials for circulation, responding to policy and procedure questions from public, coworkers and other departments, and performing related duties. Assist customers in use of Library facilities and equipment. As a lead worker, can provide work direction to other circulation staff and library volunteers, assist with training, and perform high level circulation tasks including financial reports, statistical collection and staff calendar maintenance.
- High school diploma or G.E.D
- Two years experience working with the public in an office or retail setting
- PC knowledge
- Two years of Library experience
- Knowledge or proficiency (ability to read, write and/or speak) in a secondary language
- Check in and check out items according to circulation procedures.
- Inform borrower of any charges or information regarding their account.
- Unpack and sort delivery and mail when received.
- Adapt to procedures at various branch settings.
- Input private data into borrower registration file and issue library cards or Internet use passes according to library policies.
- Assist public in locating request materials.
- Answer phone calls, greet patrons and provide information or direct customer to correct department and inform public about library services.
- Search collection for items (such as requested or lost items, etc.) on lists generated at branch or by library technology department, process, and route items according to circulation procedures.
- Carry out tasks relating to cash collections and cash accounting.
- Provide instruction to customers on use of library facilities, resources and equipment (personal computers and devices); as well as maintain, operate and troubleshoot library equipment and software.
- Work on specialized tasks, such as;
- process new materials
- track and report statistics
- replace bar codes
- maintain book sale,
- order and restock federal and state tax forms
- order supplies
- provide reference support, etc.
- book meeting rooms as requested
- Assist in the promotion and provision of library services to the public
- Perform clerical tasks to support reference and children's services librarians and public services
- Install security system markers in materials
- Attend training sessions as approved or assigned by supervisor, as well as participate on committees.
- Serve as a lead worker for Shelvers, Shelving Assistants, Substitute Info Assistants, and volunteers by assigning and monitoring workflow.
- Recommend the reassignment of duties based on workload
- Respond to circulation policy and procedure questions from Branch and Cluster Staff.
- Assist Manager or staff member in charge of building in emergency situations
- Train Sr. Information Assistants, Sub. Info. Assistants,
Shelvers, and Shelving Assistants in circulation processes, policies,
and building orientation.
Work Environment: Work is performed within a County office building. Operation of office equipment such as personal computers, telephone, adding machine, photocopier and fax machines. Lifting requirement of up to 25 pounds on an occasional basis, pulling and/or pushing book carts, exerting force up to 50 pounds. Frequent wrist and finger manipulation due to high concentration of filing, compiling, calculating or computer work.
Selection Process: The examination/selection process for this classification will consist of a rating of your training and experience from the application materials submitted. The top scoring candidates will be forwarded to the hiring department for further consideration.
Dakota County Employee Relations
Main Number 651.438.4435 (contact 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday)
For more information and to apply: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/dakota/default.cfm?action=viewJob&jobID=1419844
Applications received for this recruitment will be used to fill current and future vacancies at all Dakota County locations for up to one year.